Sunday, January 26, 2014

2nd Week

This week we only had one class day due to Martin Luther King Jr. Day and a snowfall on Friday. However, on Wednesday we did spend some considerable amount of time learning how to use git, which, in my opinion, is key for us to feel comfortable using such a powerful tool (Github). I had previously used git in my last internship; we, interns, had a common repository where we kept all our individual and team projects. I remembered a lot of commands from there but git is definitely very meticulous about its commands and instructions so I had to review some of them. I think that for us to have to keep an updated repository with our projects and having to turn in a link to the repository as well as other requirements, is a very elegant way of presenting our work. Additionally, learning how to use git without the graphic user interface gives you plenty of experience with the command line, which, I think, is something that every programmer must know how to use.

in terms of Python programming I would say i feel more comfortable after finishing project one (Collatz). Problem-wise it was not as challenging as one could imagine, I only had to write about twenty lines of code but it already gave me some exposure to the way things are done in Python, and I think it was mostly about getting us to feel more familiarized with Github anyway. From what I have gathered, I think Python is very different to the rest of the languages I have learned in UT so far. One of the things I find most particular about it is the fact that indentation is the indicator of what the scope of a function or a control flow statement is. In a nutshell, I think the class is going great, it definitely is my favorite out of the ones I'm taking this semester. I think prof. Downing is a very knowledgable person and I am very excited about learning more from him and from the projects that will be assigned throughout the semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment