Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Week 8

This week, in my opinion, has been somewhat of a slow transition between midterm week and new material (plus the beginning of the 3rd project). We did learn a little more about Python's inheritance functionality and how it compares to Java's. We also spoke about some of the String functionalities, and Python's so called regular expressions. However, at least in my case, I think that the IDB1 project is what took the most attention during this week. My team and I started preparing and dividing the project among all members so we all know what we are supposed to be doing. Something that seems very interesting to me is that, for the very first time, I will be working in a project that will be divided into several sub-pieces, which will be brought together eventually to form the whole project. So this "divide and conquer" technique is a new one for me in terms of working with several partners in a coding project. It is worth mentioning though that, at all times, all sub-groups will be aware of what the others are doing. It's just that given the time constraint it does not make much sense to try to do the whole project as a whole group, especially when each group has between 5 and 6 software developers.

Now, in terms of the actual components that will end up forming the project, there are several that either I have never heard of before, or that I have never used. Heroku, for example, the cloud platform that allows you to build apps, is a tool I hadn't heard of before. I have read up on what it is and how it is used, this part will go to the team that works on the back end of the project. I will be working on the front end, which consists of using twitter bootstrap to come up with a nice UI for the website. About a year ago I created a website using the same exact tool so I have some decent experience with it but it definitely will be challenging to connect all of the pieces together later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment