Sunday, April 27, 2014

Week 14

The final week is here. I remember when I started writing these blog entries thinking that they were due so close together that there was not going to be much that I could write of that did not sound redundant but the truth is with the pace at which this class moves it has not been that way. I am so glad I took this course, prof. Downing's class has been by far one of the most enjoyable and interesting classes I have taken at the University of Texas at Austin. The class material does not feel heavy or dense given that we basically analyze code as a group and move on whatever direction he intends us to. And the techniques we learn in class are definitely very valuable for the projects we have gotten assigned during the semester. Now that I look back, the first two projects, in my opinion, are basically a way for us to develop and polish our Python and general-programming skills. The last three projects (which really is just one big project divided into three different iterations) is where the depth comes in. I have said it before and I will say it again, what an experience it has been to work with 5 other software engineers and building such a cool application. I am very grateful for the experience.

Another aspect that I have really enjoyed about professor Downing's class is how oriented it is toward helping us during interviews and real-life projects with companies. He has brought several different guest speakers who have given us a fresh perspective on how what we have been learning in Software Engineering translates to their specific work environment. So we definitely have a good grasp on how the skills learned here will be of help in the future to whatever companies we end up working for (fingers crossed). I remember one of the guest speakers even went as far as telling us what he and the rest of the recruiting team at his company ask for in an interview. It has been a great class, definitely take it if you haven't!

No comments:

Post a Comment